Tallapoosa County, Alabama

Manufactured Homes

Registering Manufactured Homes in Tallapoosa County

Manufactured homes are governed according to the Code of Alabama 1975, Title 40 Chapter 12, and Section 255. All manufactured homes must be registered within 30 days of purchase or coming into the State of Alabama.

In Tallapoosa County, manufactured homes are registered in the Revenue Commissionerís Office.
The following information is required to register a mobile home:

New Manufactured Home:

  • Bill of Sale showing Sales Tax Collected
  • Alabama Certificate of Title Application

Used Manufactured Home from Dealer:

  • Bill of Sale showing Sales Tax Collected
  • Alabama Certificate of Title or Title Application for models less than 20 years old

Manufactured Home Purchased from Individual:

  • Bill of Sale
  • Certificate of Title in new owners name or Title Application ( all titles are transferred by the Probate Office)
  • Sales Tax will be collected by the Revenue Commissioner's Office at 2% of the sales price.

Owner Relocating Manufactured Home:

  • Moving from out of state: Certificate of Title, Current Registration
  • Moving from another Alabama County: Certificate of Title, Current Registration & Move Permit

Sales Tax on Manufactured Homes

In order for a Manufactured Home to be registered, purchaser must provide proof that Sales Tax has been collected and if applicable, Alabama Certificate of Title Application (applies to models less than 20 years old). As proof the Revenue Office will accept: Bill of Sale from Licensed Dealer showing Tax Collected or a receipt from the Tag Office showing Tax Collected. The Probate Office also prepares applications for Alabama Certificate of Titles. Contact the Probate Office at 256-825-4266 should you have questions about Sales Tax or applying for a Certificate of Title on a Manufactured Home. If Manufactured Home and land are titled in the same name, and will be occupied by owner as his/her home, the Manufactured Home will be assessed as real property and Homestead may apply. An Ad Valorem decal will be issued when the property taxes are paid each year. (October 1st through December 31st)

If a Manufactured Home is placed on land not owned by the manufactured home owner or occupied by someone other than the owner, then it is registered in our Registration Program. The decal for this type registration is renewed from October 1st through November 30th each year. Delinquent fees will apply December 1st.

A - Single Wide, Owner-Occupied - $24
B - Double Wide, Owner-Occupied -$48
C - Single Wide, Commercial (Rental - $48
D - Double Wide or Larger, Commercial (Rental) - $96

There is an additional $5 Issuance Fee for each decal issued. Failure to register, renew or display decal will result in a citation with penalties.

Move Permit

Move Permits may be purchased from the Revenue Commission Office for $10. You are required by law to present a permit before registering your Manufactured Home in another County. Registration must be current for permit to be issued.

Should you have additional questions about tax information relating to manufactured homes, please contact our office at (256) 825-7818.